Friday, April 17, 2009

Can learning self defense be useful and effective enough for most women?

Or is it better to run away as fast as you can?

I do freeze up frequently when confronted with surprise situations.

My boyfriend says all girls are wimps and couldn't possibly win against a more powerful male attacker.

Well, I just started my self defense class in high school and our instructor thought very little of my boyfriend's advice when told of it.

To psychologically counteract the "freeze effect" common to many women in surprise situations, she gave us 2 web sites of current events where females were successful in dealing with their assailants:

http://www.kansascity.com/news/breaking_news/story/471467.html

http://www.surinenglish.com/noticias.php?Noticia=12145

Your thoughts?

Your advice?


I heard something on the radio. Don't yell for help. Believe it or not people will not respond. They will ignore.

They say yell FIRE! people freak out when you hear those words.

i would totally freeze. i think i'd get my butt kicked. just buy a gun =)

Overall a female will be at a disadvantage against a male, but it's not impossible. Knowing defense is better than not knowing anything.

And yeah, getting away is always the best thing you can do. I'm built pretty good for a guy and I'm not stupid enough to stick around and get myself killed. I'm actually training to carry a concealed handgun as well but even with a gun, the rule is, get away if you can.

Read about this news story from last week.

http://metropost.com/russias-sexiest-bodyguard-killed-in-car-jacking/2008/01/29/

You should take self defense.My mother and I took it, but I have never had to use it. I also carry pepper spray, I covered mine with crystals so it doesnt look like pepper spray.Also dont go anywhere alone at night,thats just asking for trouble.I freeze up in situations to, but if someone was trying to rape me I would try to do whatever I could.

Also, your boyfriend is wrong.If you hit them at the right spots you could get away!

Oh no you mess with the wrong girl big or little and it doesn't matter if your some big muscular guy, she'll take you down. So what they're more build, but hey they also have weak spots.

your boyfriend is wrong. im sorry but that is a very sexist thing to say. girls can esaily fight of an attacker. just kick him in the you-know-wheres LMAO

you probably wouldnt completely freeze up. you would know you needed to get out of there. its like fighting for your life, and usually in those situations a lot of adrenaline kicks in so you wouldnt freeze up.

thats cool that your doing that! :D

my dad signed me up for karate a few weeks ago. im really excited - a start in a weekish!

Well Its always better to fight away the situation but to the amount of risk calculated.. Sometimes u do and u got killed as the attacker carries gun or sword and to run out of this he might attack harder...

Self defense is not about learning how to fight like UFC fighters.

You only need to be scratching and clawing your way out as a last resort.

Your best bet is to keep a safe distance in the first place.

Yes! Thats a fancy way to say RUNNNNNN!

ummm i think that a girl can whip any guys *** if it came down to it. don't listen to your bf. women can be just as strong as men.

Your boyfriend is a sexist pig. Women can defend themselves against men. Your instructor is right. Not all men are more powerful than women either. He needs to get his facts straight. When you are done with your classes prove it to him. It is very good to be instructed in self defense. Always be aware of your surroundings. It is not always possible to run away. They might run faster than you do.

carry a pepper stray incase and a cell phone

self defense is great for all women to learn. also though carry pepper spray and yell no repeadly as loud as you can as you kick his butt so that people will respond.

No comments:

Post a Comment