Friday, April 17, 2009

What size Kayak would be for me?

I'm 5'10" 140lbs. I have kayaked once before but have forgotten the length of the one i used and how it felt. I have some fairly big lakes around me that i plan to spend most of my time on but i also want to cruse some of our local creeks and rives ( both are slow moving, but creeks have tight turns) I was going to get a 10 foot so i could turn better but wanted a 12 foot for greater speed.

But i don't know what im talking about so maybe someone could give me some insight. This is one for sale in my area, have any oppinion? http://kansascity.craigslist.org/boa/598444475.html


If you are looking to poke around a lake or slow stream - a recreation kayak works but I'm not convinced you would like it after a season or two. Most folks skills grow and a recreation boat quickly shows its limitations (slow and poor tracking).

If you are looking for a kayak that provides more opportunities as your skills grow - a day touring kayak will fit your needs. day touring kayaks although not as initially stable as a recreation kayak provide excellent secondary stability, allow for faster paddling due and provide advanced features such as skegs or rudders, hatches, etc.

For paddling Class I-II rivers and creeks, small

lakes, and open water lakes, bays, estuaries I would recommend a day touring kayak in the 14 to 16 foot range.

A Wilderness Systems Tsunami, Necky Zoar Sport, Necky Manitou, Old Town Cayuga, Precision Carolina are all boats that fit the bill.

I personally own a Necky Zoar Sport and a Old Town Cayuga 146 and paddle them in everything from tiny NJ Pine Barren streams, Class II+ Creeks, rivers and even in the Atlantic Ocean.

For a review of the Dagger Blackwater check out the reviews on paddling.net -- http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/showReviews.html?prod=974

i'd recommend you get a creeker. they'll do fine for paddling around lakes and reaks since they are big volume but you'll always have the option to run some bigger water if you ever get involved with a club.

here are a few ideas

http://www.whitewaterthecanoecentre.co.uk/creeking.html

the dagger nomad is a pretty good boat. but i preffer the general shape of pyrana and wavesport boats.

make sure you can try a boat before you buy one

No comments:

Post a Comment