Saturday, April 18, 2009

Would a vehicle tow dolly be able to pull this vehicle 200 miles???

This is a link to the listing, with a picture...

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/car/670477537.html

... it is 22feet long and the distance between the front and rear wheels is 14ft and the distance between the two front tires... measuring from the outsides of the tires is 6ft 4in roughly.

Would a dolly work? U-Haul's dollys can handle the weight but they say the maximum width is 72in. But I am assuming that is just the "safe" standard. Would it be able to fit on one of their dollys? If not what should I rent? I am in Kansas City, so if you know of any place hell I would be so happy to be informed of it.

Thanks,


You do not **** around with "safe" standards when it comes to towing. And U-haul is known for not maintaining their equipment properly anyway. So you REALLY don't **** around like that with U-haul equipment.

Also, you not only have to look at the capacity of the dolly, but the vehicle towing it. If your tow vehicle isn't big enough to tow that behemoth (and unless you've got a full-sized 1 ton pickup set up for towing, it probably isn't), you could be putting yourself and everyone around you at risk by driving something like that on the highway. Improper towing kills.

The ideal vehicle for moving that truck is a bigger truck.

Or itself. The ad says it runs. Just drive it the 200 miles. Bring tools and someone who knows trucks with you. Take it easy the whole way if you have to.

To be honest i think 72 inches is just the widest you can put on one of those single axle dollies. And I wouldnt trust that weight reccomendation either. I wish I knew people in KC like I do here I'd give you a phone number.

But best I can say is stop by there with a tape measure and try it out.

you would do better usesing a trailer from u haul than a dolly .

No comments:

Post a Comment